Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WHO is in the Painting

BORING blank wall


 There has been a blank wall staring at me in my living room for quite some time now. I have been trying to decide what to do with it. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something only to decide later that it isn't exactly what I wanted.

The only thing that I knew for sure was I wanted TURQUOISE - my favorite color. We have the most awesome comfy cozy brown pillows, so I wanted to incorporate some brown onto the wall as well.

So, I decided to be adventurous and paint my own canvases. Now, you should be aware that when I say I paint it's because I enjoy painting, NOT because other people enjoy my paintings. In other words, everything I paint looks like modern art even if it wasn't intended to be modern art. So, this truly was an adventure!

I purchased 2 double pack 16" x 20" canvases from Michael's when they were on sale buy 1 get 1 free. I have my own store-sized inventory of paints and paintbrushes. So, my total investment was about $10.  I figured if I totally hated the results I could paint over them and haven't wasted too much ca$h. 

I'm not sure if this is really my style, but I'm enjoying them!




It makes me smile when I look at them for several reasons:

1. TURQUOISE! Enough said!

2. Sarah and I painted them together. Most of the paint actually made it onto the canvases.

3. My husband even got in on the action! He got to use his laser level to hang them.

4. I like fleur de lis!


And the biggest reason that they make me smile.... After hanging them on the wall and admiring our mad skills, we realized that each of the fleur de lis is actually shaped as


An ear of corn




an upside down penguin (OK, you may have to squint a little to see it)




and... Cindy Lou Who!! 




Let me assure you, this was completely unintentional!

I must admit, when my husband so lovingly (that is sarcasm for those of you who may not realize it) pointed out the ear of corn, I was a little annoyed. Then we took a closer look at all of them and realized this is really funny!!  Now I can't look at them without seeing the "hidden" pictures. 


5 comments:

Marissa said...

Why are you crazy gurls so talented?!? These are amazing!! Cindy Lou Who...priceless :) I have boring white walls in my room *hint hint*... :-)

Priscilla said...

Dang!! You painted those? Impressive...I'd have to say the upside down penguin is my favorite :)

Anonymous said...

Fleurs-de-lis, eh? You guys are so swank. ;-)

The Cindy Lou Who really does look like Cindy Lou Who! It's like magic!

ABK said...

Coolness!

Katie S said...

These are sweet!!! When I have an apartment/home in the not so near future I'll know who to call for some in house decor.

P.S. I wanted to like Marissa's comment above, but alas... this is not Facebook. :)